Ir al contenido principal

Homeless in public libraries

Today I want to write about a topic that we talked a bit, last weekend. 

This semester I've been a lot in Vasconcelos library, at least twice a week. Before July, I had never been there, despite that, it's now one of my favorite places, for several reasons. But that is not the point now. 

The point is that during these last months I've realized that there are some people that I've seen several times there. They are homeless people, and what is curious is that they are commonly in the same places of the library.

There's is this one I told you about last weekend, for example; you can find him at the 7th floor, his hair is grey, he has a beard and he is tall. I think he is very interesting because once I walked behind him I could realize that he was writing in a notebook, he did it very fast and it looked like he was writing something important, because his notebook was full of blue words. I wonder what he was writing.

There's also another guy that you can find at the 7th floor, he is always on the red couch that is near the "erotism and sexuality" part of the library. I haven't seen him doing anything, I mean, really nothing, he is just there sitting staring at people and touching his feet. He kinda scaries me. But I guess he is not a bad person I think he might have schizophrenia or somehing like that. Once I heard a police man telling him off, he did nothing, it was like he didn't even listen.

But they are not everyone. Actually, at the 4th floor (where we have class every weekend), there is another guy who is always there, in fact, we have been very close to him, we have been one or two tables behind him. He wears in blue, I can't remember but I think he uses an overall, he has a mustache and a red cap. What does he do? you might wonder, well I wonder the same, because he is always there reading the newspaper, what I find interesting is that he has a cellphone and earphones. Sometimes I've seen him talking with another homeless man, might they be friends?

To be honest I don't blame them, I could easily live at the library too, I've really thought about it, you have nearly everything you need. Public libraries grant us a place to do many thing. First of all, their main reason: books. You have thousands of books, you can read about anything! There are also movies that you can watch at the library, and they're good movies, I think they have some Ingmar Bergman's and Kubrick's too. Besides that, vasconcelos library has several couches where you can take a rest or a nap if you feel like it; another important fact is security, libraries give homeless people an invaluable place to be safe, unlike the streets, here, they can feel safe, they don't have to worry about people who could hurt them when they sleep in the street.

Comentarios